The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Strangely Challenging Day

I am not really sure what it was about today, but it has been a helluva day to refrain from my pipes.  As I have stated before, it seems for the most part to have become managable to not indulge in my pipes.  I am soon to be hitting the 6 month mark of not smoking a pipe any longer.  But, even though today seemed generally like an average day, I have been having a lot of thoughts about my pipes and pretty strong longings to indulge in a bowl of burley leaf. 

In the mid afternoon, I even had it in my mind that I *was* going to smoke my pipe.  I grabbed one out of a drawer, and grabbed a pouch of pipe tobacco and my lighter.  I had plans to smoke some vanilla tinctured burley after I left for the day and started to do some errands.

Once I left, I was driving around, and I thought, well if I am going to do this, I should sit somewhere peaceful out-of-doors and indulge.  So, I knew of a place on my route that nice, and planned for that.  It took about 15 minutes to get there.  But, the day was quite hot and the bench I had wanted to sit at was in the baking sun, so that did not seem particularly appealing, so I decided to wait to find somewhere else.

The long and short of it, is that I spent most of the afternoon running a bunch of errands, and after not indulging in that park I like, I kept putting off smoking my pipe, truthfully NOT because I did not want to smoke, but because I kept wanting to get all the different errands accomplished while I had time.  I guess that turned out to be fortunate for me, because by the end of all the various errands, the urge to have the burley leaf had diminished enough that I ended up putting my pipe, pouch, and lighter away in my desk when I eventually arrived home.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger David P. said...

LOL ... Procrastination as a virtue! I meant to sin, but I never got around to it. ;-)

Wednesday, 08 August, 2018  
Blogger Sharon said...

I have to agree with the previous response. :)

Thursday, 09 August, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

It has been decades and I still miss my pipe. I still keep one on my computer desk.
the Ol'Buzzard

Thursday, 09 August, 2018  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Your post, like Ol'Buzzard's reply, took me by surprise. I would think that after six months, if you seriously want to be a non-smoker and have abstained for so long, you would be well-advised to sell your pipes or give them to a still-smoking friend. Why keep the temptation around you, unless somewhere in your deepest longings you really wish you could be a pipe smoker in a world hostile to your treasured pursuit? One way or another, why torture yourself? Why not either get rid of the tempting items and make it all that much harder to slip and indulge, or stop postponing the inevitable and take up your pipes again without embarrassment or regret?

Thursday, 09 August, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home