The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Swimming, Dreams, TMJ

In my area there is a community pool that I have been happily enjoying this Summer.  There is just something about the pool that helps me to feel renewed.  I sometimes think I am part fish.  Even on the hottest days, taking a half an hour out to go to the pool and letting the cool water wick away body heat and reduce your core temperature a bit...... so, so, rejuvenating.

TMJ Report.... even though I love my pooch, I have to say that she has caused me CONSIDERABLE pain and discomfort by her eating my bite splint for my TMJ.  Tempormadibular Jaw Disorder is seen in individuals who grind their teeth while sleeping to such an extent that they cause pain and  inflammation of the joint between the skull and mandible.  It also leads to extensive tooth wear.  Unfortunately my dog destroyed the best splint I had... the one that completely controlled my TMJ.  I have an older, less well designed splint that I am using, but I need to try to get the dentist to make one for me in this other style because I can sure feel a whole helluva lot of discomfort now in that joint. 

My pipe dreams have once again returned after an absence.  In this latest set of dreams the theme revolves with me inevitably working part time at a wonderful pipe tobacco shop.  In the dreams, I am, as a part of my job, always smoking a pipe, and sampling some of the finest pipe tobaccos that they offer.  In the dreams I am always talking with customers and giving out a lot of advice on pipe tobacco blends to try.  In my dreams, at least, I am an excellent salesperson/spokesperson and besides continuously indulging in bowls of pipe tobacco myself, I am helping many, many customers with their purchases.  The dreams have a very real quality to them so that when I wake up in the morning, they feel as if they actually happened.  It seems so strange to have these same dreams again and again.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Swimming at the pool ... sounds so nice, glad you are able to get there on a frequent basis.
Hoping you get a new splint soon. Tooth/jaw pain is awful.
Ahh, those smoking dreams, I remember them well. Has been a while for me, thank the gods!

Tuesday, 31 July, 2018  
Blogger Jane said...

I feel the same way about being in the pool. It feels so good!

I hope you get a new bite splint soon. TMJ sounds very painful!

Wednesday, 01 August, 2018  
Blogger David P. said...

I had a bad TMJ / lockjaw event last month. Took a couple weeks before I could open my mouth 2 fingers wide. Eating was a chore, couldn't enjoy my favorite sub sandwiches without squishing them flat!

Wednesday, 01 August, 2018  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Sorry the dog ate your favorite TMJ splint. Hope your dentist can make a better one for you soon. The swimming sounds so relaxing.

Friday, 03 August, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home