The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, July 09, 2018

The Worry & Ruminiation Struggle Continues

It has been several days of up and down emotions for me.  The days leading up the the 4th of July and the 4th of July itself were very pleasant and happy ones and I was able to keep up good spirits.  It was quite relaxing and pleasant.

However, on Friday, shortly after getting home from those festivities, my wife and I gave our dog a bath and then went away for a while.  Unfortunately while we were gone, the dog decided to eat a hard plastic, medical device I have for my TMJ Disorder (it was a bite splint that cost ~$350.00).  Not only has  the loss of this device cause me difficulties (I have been having considerable discomfort and pain since then), but I have also had considerable worry about the dog as well.

In calling the veterinarian, we were advised to give the dog hydrogen peroxide to cause her to vomit out the shards of rigid plastic that she stupidly ate.  We did this and in looking through all the vomit very carefully, I *believe* we have retrieved most and potentially all of the splint.  The veterinarian advised us to wait and observe from that point.  This is what we have been doing.  But, it is nerve wracking.  Our doofus dog usually is off her food a bit from travel anyway, and having been forced to vomit from hydrogen peroxide also puts her off her feed as well, and so she has not been overly hungry, but then she has vomited twice in the last few days after eating.  So, is it due to her revovery from travels, her recovery from the hydrogen peroxide, or that she has some chunk of this damn splint still inside her?   Every meal she eats is a worry and a stress.  Some are successful and she keeps it down, some not. 

Breakfast this morning with the dog has thus far been successful.  If I can have her eat without vomiting and pooping regularly for 2-3 days in a row... then I will know things are all ok.  But, right now it is a state of "unknowns" and is nudging me back into the worry/ruminating mode and I have felt very sad and stressed.  I am trying to fight against as I wait to see if things go well or if things go badly and other intervention is required for the dog. 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger David P. said...

For your pup's welfare, as well as your own peace of mind, it may be a good idea to take her to the vet for an x-ray. I hope she recovers from the incident ..we've had similar with ours'.

Monday, 09 July, 2018  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Some time our pups are just like children
Coffee is on

Monday, 09 July, 2018  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

every since the explosion here in West.everyone has ptsd and a firecracker going off will send us either running or crying.

Friday, 13 July, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

x-rays sound like a good idea. It would relieve you of the stress of waiting.
the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 13 July, 2018  
Blogger Sandi said...

Oh no... how is she doing? How are you?

Wednesday, 25 July, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home