The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Conference

I was away the last several days attending a conference and presenting some of my research.  Even though it was fun, I am glad to be home. 

This particular conference was not one that was attended by my pipe-smoking friends from other universities, so that was not a worry I had going to the conference.  But, I *did* find it quite challenging in two regards.... one evening I did indulge in a few libations, and when I did so, the desire for a pipe *was* quite strong.  I did not have a pipe with me (I did not take any on the trip.), but if I had done so, I believe I likely would have given in and indulged.  Also, in the city where I was for this conference, there was a wonderful, traditional tobacconist near by and I did peruse their wares quite extensively after I found the shop.  I did feel quite a bit of temptation to buy myself a pipe and some tobacco while there.  I had to work quite extensively on myself to dissuade me from making the purchases and I used my tendency to be a "penny pincher" to my advantage in this case.   The one pipe I found quite beautiful and enticing to me had a price tag of ~$80.00 (some tobacco I would have liked would have added another $20.00 to the cost as well), and even though I really would have liked it, and would have very willingly broken it in.... I was able to force myself to put the pipe back on the shelf by reminding myself how foolish it would be to spend that money when I was trying my damndest to NOT smoke a pipe.... and that I had PLENTY of pipes at home so the purchase would be utterly superfluous given my current state of mind.  

So, I made it back without indulging in a pipe.  That was an actual accomplishment for me. 

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Gotta admire your ability to "Just Say No." I always seem to find an excuse to indulge my sweet tooth. Two months ago I was working at our local food pantry, shelving food. Some old candy canes were about to be thrown away. "What the heck?" I thought. Result: broken tooth and expensive dental work. Some folks never learn.

Friday, 20 July, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I quit smoking thirty years ago. I still have a corncob and perhaps once or twice a year I will yield to the urge and smoke a bowl.
I do miss my pipes.
the Ol'Buzzard

Saturday, 21 July, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh well done! That is such an achievement.

Wednesday, 25 July, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

Good for you.

Saturday, 28 July, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home