The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Irritating

There are several folks that I work with that are irritating to me.  They are not irritating because they have quirky behavior, even though they do.  They are not irritating because they believe they are brilliant, even though they think that.  They are not irritating because they have different opinions and ideas than I do, even though their ideas are often different.

What is irritating about a specific small subset of the folks that I work with is that they seem (act) wholly unconcerned about being kind and gentle with others.  It is such an odd thing.... this subgroup of folks really displays NONE of the kindness or gentleness I am used to associating with in much of the rest of my life. 

Now, of course, people all have their good and bad days, that is granted.  But, in most aspects of my life, folks tend to have at the forefront of their minds the idea of treating others kindly and gently.... even if you disagree with them.  It is something I had been guided in from my childhood, and I suspect MOST folks received similar upbringing.  To me, it is a fairly fundamental aspect of life, and it is a helpful/useful aspect of living in a society. 

I have worked with some of these folks for decades, but that lack of empathy or care so frequently catches me off guard.  In the latest examples of this, there was nothing specifically associated in their efforts that affected me.  Instead, it was how they were talking about and treating someone else.  But, their actions and their words.... so, so unkind. 

Even though it is perplexing to me, perhaps I am better off NOT having a better understanding of that sort of mindset.  It is such a harsh approach to life. 

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger billy pilgrim said...

sonny had a big banner made for me that i pinned to the wall in my office with the following words of wisdom from my good buddy eliot rosewater:

“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.”

Thursday, 06 September, 2018  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Billy... I do not know any longer where your blog is at. I would like to read it. Please advise.

Friday, 07 September, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

It's true. I always assume people are nice and honest in spite of experiences that suggest the opposite. Like you i have led a sheltered life in that respect: most of the people in my family or church are lovely. I forget there's another world out there.
I see television programmes and I think, 'people can't really be like that surely?' But maybe they are.

Monday, 10 September, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home