The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Flight of Fancy


With the huge "Mega Millions" jackpot set to be 1.6 Billion dollars, I broke down and bought one "easy pick" ticket.  Usually, I am not a gambler of any sort, but I thought I *could* spend $2 for allowing me an afternoon/evening flight of fancy. 

After buying the ticket, I thought about what it is that I would do *if* I won.  My thoughts can be summarized as follows:

1.  I would pay off my home.

2.  I would have my family move into a rented Townhouse for about 3 months while I had the kitchen and the bathrooms remodeled in my home.

3.  I would retire from the U.

4.  I would purchase a good, full-coverage health care plan for my family.

5.  I would rent a small/quaint office space, and use it as my "office" to go to for my "job" which would be to attempt to write a publishable novel.

6.  I would set up college tuition/room and board accounts that would pay for family and friend's kids to attend a 4-year school (I imagined in total 10 of these accounts).  They would somehow be given anonymously to them. 

7.  I would look with my wife for a small, but pleasant condo to purchase in either New York City or in Chicago.

8.  I would look with my wife for a small, but pleasant condo to purchase somewhere in a fun city in Florida.

9.  I would hire a maid service to clean our home three times a week.

10.  I would consider finding a class to teach as an adjunct at some college/university that is NOT the U from which I retired.

11.  I would have a financial planner help me determine a normal, comfortable income that I could yearly income I could then count on for the rest of my wife and my lives. 

12.  I would make a financial plan to allow my wife and I to take a trip every three months to a fun, exotic location.

13.  I would buy my wife and myself each a new, modest vehicle and sell our old vehicles.  

14.  With the likelihood that there would still be quite a bit of money left over, I would then set up with some legal help an anonymous foundation of some sort to be able to donate money to a variety of good causes. 

The above are my flights of fancy.  I have not yet looked to see if my lottery ticket one... but obviously the likelihood is virtually zero.   Yet, the two bucks I spent on the ticket did give me the freedom to dream a bit.  And, dreams are not all bad.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I like your plan. I should have bought a ticket, but I didn't....and guess what? I just read that the winning ticket was sold here in South Carolina! :/

Wednesday, 24 October, 2018  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You really put a lot of thought into it. I buy a lottery ticket on rare occasions.

Wednesday, 24 October, 2018  
Blogger Jane said...

your list made me smile. :O)

dreaming can be fun!

Wednesday, 24 October, 2018  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

To answer your questions, at least partly.

My photography is mostly run and gun. For the most part, I have to shoot what I can when I can. So, I mainly look for good compositions. On the computer, I try to craft the image in a way that seems appropriate. It will often mean highlighting some areas such as maybe the centre of the photo. I will often play with the saturation or at least the colour tones. I do try to keep it all in the realm of reality though; I am just nudging photos in the right direction -- to my eyes -- if I can't take the perfect photos in the perfect spot at the perfect time with the perfect equipment. I try to craft in such a way that someone couldn't necessarily tell that it was massaged in post. In other words, I go with what the photo offers, but I try will to help it along if necessary. There are exceptions. I will happily process certain types of images in a freer, less realistic way. If I post some truck finds in the near future, you will see what I mean although even then for the most part I keep my processing fairly realistic. But natural images such as scenes and birds (which I don't do often), I try to keep authentic.

Thanks for the questions.

Thursday, 25 October, 2018  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Hello, I have recently found your blog, and this is my first comment. I used to do the lottery, but I found that avoiding the effort of having my hopes raised and dashed was easier, so I stopped. Your list is a great idea, though, and I occasionally dream about what I'd do if I won the lottery too. Why, when I don't do the lottery, I've no idea!

Monday, 05 November, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home