The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Over 10 Years


I will have to recount to get the exact number, but in my rough estimate, I do now know that I have now completed beyond the full, 10 year mark in constantly walking (and now running) five miles a day... each and every day, never missing a day!  I have done this when the weather has been atrocious, I have done this when I have been sick.  I have done this every holiday. 

It is roughly 10 years and 25 days thus far.  Eventually in the next week or so, I will re-post the exact number of days on that day. 

It feels pretty shocking to me to realize I have made it this consistently.  I am glad I have done this. 

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is extremely commendable.

Friday, 26 October, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

Great job, how old are you now?

Saturday, 27 October, 2018  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

Well this is definitely a date to mark down. Great job Pipe. I am impressed beyond, well, I am really impressed.

Sunday, 28 October, 2018  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Congratulations on ten years of perseverance and healthy activity!

Perhaps this ten-year anniversary will help you figure out your upcoming birthday dilemmas? Ten years ago, you made a clean break with your sedentary past -- you established a routine that has sustained you, day after day. Even when the running may be uncomfortable, the routine has kept you on-task and motivated.

Maybe this is the year that you make a clean break with your family legacy of pipe-smoking? Maybe your grandfather and father are part of a past that can no longer be part of your present, and this year's birthdays will help your resolve to remain as the new not-smoking person you want to be? Or, maybe, the lesson of your decade of running is that you do possess the resolve to make the choices that sustain you. Reading your blog, you seem to be so comfortable around pipes and tobacco, and so conflicted away from them, that I can just as easily see you resolving to be a pipe-a-day smoker as I can see you resolving to break completely from your past heritage and never again enjoy the beauty or the aroma of your pipes. Either may be the right choice for you, but your choice of #2 in your earlier post suggests to me that you may already have made a decision subconsciously, and that you are waiting for the right time to carry out that decision not in a moment of cravings/yearnings, but rather as an affirmation of who you are -- as in your birthday rituals. One way or another, congratulations on ten years of resolve, and best wishes toward however you choose to approach the upcoming birthdays.

Tuesday, 30 October, 2018  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Impressive!! What discipline!

Thursday, 01 November, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Wow! well done!

Thursday, 01 November, 2018  
Blogger Jacqui said...

That's very impressive. You must be very fit. Being active in fair weather is one thing, but doing it in all weathers takes dedication. I am not as active as I'd like to be, and some back problems make me less inclined to be. I like walking though, especially if I have my camera with me.

Monday, 05 November, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home