The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Night Time Sleep Ritual


While I rarely have any sort of trouble falling asleep at night, I suspect the reason for my ease in falling asleep is due to consistent routines that tend to follow.  The three routines that I follow typically are:

1.  "Intimate Proclivities" - an obvious and joyful method of acquiring a good night's rest involve indulging in intimacy with a loved one.  And, so, when my wife is willing and of a mind to indulge me, this is an excellent and favored choice.  However, it is not always an option. 

2.  "The Novel" - as my occupation as a professor has me reading a good bit of the time, "the novel" may seem at first glance to be an odd choice.  However, as a scientist, the VAST majority of my work related reading is technical, dry, and requires a certain alert mindset.  I do, however, find that reading fiction at night is a wonderfully different sort of beast.  It is a story, it is read for pleasure and does not require the same sort of focus as does my daytime reading.  I have several novels in my queue right now, and I find that on nights when #1 is not an option, reading 3 or 4 chapters in a good book relaxes my mind in such a way that sleep then is readily available.  The only time a good novel is not reliably helpful, however, is usually during the first 2-3 chapters.  I find that when I START a new book, I tend to focus more to create the story in my imagination and sometimes it is more challenging to sleep.  Once I have the characters well established in my mind, however, (like after the first few chapters), then my novel reading is almost akin to a movie playing in my mind. 

3.  "The Briarpatch" -  Even though I have forsaken the pipe at this time, I find it interesting, and sometimes quite helpful for me at night when I am trying to fall asleep.  During the day, I tend to try to focus away from thinking about my pipes and pipe tobaccos for the most part, as to think about them will create pangs of desire for a pipe.  However, at night, when I am in bed, I often find great comfort and a clearing of the mind by thinking about my pipes, pipe tobaccos, times I have indulged in the beautiful leaf, and the various shops I have visited over the years.  Thoughts of these memories, when trying to fall asleep give me a sense of tranquility that helps me. 

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Novels don't tend to do it for me. I mean, listening via iphone in bed. Reading or listening before bed can work though. Usually anyway.

Listening to podcasts can work because they are often not rivetting.

Wednesday, 09 January, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I read everything..and love every minute of it.

Friday, 11 January, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I'm with you on number #1, and if that is not available a science tomb will usually do the job within a couple of pages. Fiction books make me want to read on.

It is a shame that women don't have the same drive as men for sleep would never be a problem.

the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 11 January, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home