The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, October 28, 2019

Indian Food Delights



My wife and I took the family out to eat at our favorite Indian restaurant yesterday.  We went there in the early afternoon because this restaurant has a "buffet" on Sunday during that time, so we can have a wider array of different samples of so many good dishes.  The pindi chole and the spinach paneer were my favorite of the many different items I sampled yesterday.  The meal was delicious. 

As I have mentioned, about 11 or so years ago, I went through a period of weight lost where I had a goal to bring my BMI down into the normal range.  In order to do this, I had to go through considerable thought and effort to change my thinking about food and what to eat.

For my effort, my major change was in proportions.  Truth be told, I LOVE to eat, and I ate BIG quantities of food....  but, today..... I still LOVE to eat and I still eat BIG quantities of food.  The change is in proportions:

Basically, if a food is calorie dense (lots of calories in a small package), I tend to eat those foods in small or very small volume.  This means that fried foods (which I never liked much anyway) tend to be either avoided or eaten in very small quantities.  High fat foods in general are eaten in very small volume.

If a food is calorie diffuse (few calories in a big volume of food), I then tend to eat A LOT of those foods.  This means salads, vegetables, fruits, etc.

If the food is calorie medium (an "in-between") caloric content relative to volume, I eat a MODERATE sized volume of those foods.  Beans, lentils, chickpeas, chicken, fish, breads fall into this realm.

So, that is what I did in a nutshell.  I just changed the proportions of the foods that I ate.  It allowed me to lose 120 pounds (~55kg or 8.5 stone).

However, there are a few foods that I find very difficult to NOT eat in HUGE quantities when available.  The two foods that I do struggle with to eat in the right volume are:

Pizza
Nuts (especially mixed nuts in a can)

I am not successful in proportional eating of those two foods, and so.... I simply try to avoid those two items as much as possible... because my willpower is not so successful with those two things.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger JanF said...

That was a huge weight loss and you managed all by sensible eating. Well done.

Monday, 28 October, 2019  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your plan has worked really well, and yes you do have willpower.

I love fried foods. Unfortunately.

Monday, 28 October, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

When I was visiting my son in Oregon he took his dad and I to a Indain restaurant to eat at.
Coffee is on

Monday, 28 October, 2019  
Blogger Mildred Ratched said...

Losing weight is difficult at any age, but the older we get the harder it comes off. I'm diabetic and recently got serious about losing weight for several reasons. I started my program in the middle of May and to date I've lost 43 pounds and my A1c has dropped from 7.3 to 6. I feel like I've accomplished something major and still have a long ways to go but I'm getting there one day at a time.

Tuesday, 29 October, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Well done on the weight loss - that's amazing, and also unusual in that you have kept it off for all these years. Losing weight is something I'm finding extremely hard to do. You have laid out a structure here that I have not really thought through before. I do have a good idea of calorie content and try not to eat high-calorie foods, or if I do I balance it the rest of the day or the rest of the week with lower calorie foods, but with your approach I believe it will help me just that little bit more to think of my food intake in that way.

Friday, 01 November, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home