The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 11, 2019

Apologies, But Explanation



Hmm.

I want to apologize to my friendly readers here about one point, and yet I also want to offer an explanation as to why it occurs (more frequently than I would like):

I do want to offer my apologies about the relatively frequent typographical errors, the occasionally garbled phrases, and occasional grammatical errors.  Of course, none of these are intentional.   I apologize if they make your reading here less enjoyable.

But, as a manner of explanation, I want you to know that my writings here reflect me, my thoughts, and my feelings, and my ideas.... in as spontaneous and unfettered a way as I can manage.  I view my blog as my space to "be me" in and a *part* of that being me, is NOT having a need to edit, compose, recompose, re-edit what it is that I want to try to say.

I tend to write a great deal as one facet of my role as a professor, and in that job related writing, I *do* spend considerable time and effort in terms of editing, cleaning, clarifying virtually every sentence and word I write.  It is a necessary part of science writing.  But.... it is not particularly "fun" and is very often tedious.

I need my blog to be a place where I can expel and express feelings, passions, ideas, thoughts, worries, etc. without feeling the need to make them "perfect" and precise.  I hope that this seems reasonable to you and that you take my writing foibles with a "grain of salt" and give me a pass on them.  If they do become too troublesome, please let me know, and I will try to dovote a bit of time to "smoothing" them out a bit.

Sincerely,

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Why on earth are you apologizing for the informality of your informal communications? Yes, if you start describing your overweight colleagues as "burley" rather than "burly" I may tease you about a Freudian slip, but I am sure that your readers understand the nature of your blog and appreciate it for what it is. Relax!

Monday, 11 November, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Pat:

Thank you! I did not mean anyone in particular had been chastising me. I meant that I had gone back to look at some of my posts and found many typographical errors that I should have caught. Many of the errors are due to the damnable autocorrect that I should learn to turn off. But others are simple my own doing.

PipeTobacco

Monday, 11 November, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

The purpose of writing is to communicate thoughts and ideas. We should not be picky of the process. We lose good thoughts and ideas when people are afraid to write because of criticism.
the Ol'Buzzard

Monday, 11 November, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Buzz:

You are correct about the communication part. Sometimes I wonder if my own need to edit (inherent in my job) leads me to view my own typos a bit more harshly than warranted. I think I am so used to editing my writing that I have more difficulty just simply reading what I write.

PipeTobacco

Monday, 11 November, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home