The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 07, 2019

To Be a Better, Kinder, Person


Even though I admit that pipes are very much on my mind at the moment.  I can also say, I have been having thoughts again about trying to find ways for me to be a better, kinder, person and a harder worker in terms of this life I have been given.  I feel I *do* try, but I think I could and should try harder, and with greater effort to become a better version of myself... for my family, for my friends, for my U, and for my community. 

It is a tenet of my Roman Catholic faith to assess your inner heart and spirit and recognize failings you may have in how you treat others, how you work to be a better person, how you work to help others, and how you work to try to make a difference in other's lives. 

Sadly, I admit that sometimes I shy away from thinking about what I could and should do in this regard.  And, perhaps "sometimes" is an understatement.  I realize that I can very easily be lazy and very often ignore additional opportunities I have, to try to be helpful or kind.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Noble aspiration. It's more natural to some than others.

Thursday, 07 November, 2019  
Blogger Pat M. said...

How can you be kind to others if you do not make sure you are being kind to yourself? Christ's command doesn't just say "Love your neighbor" -- it says "Love your neighbor as yourself." Can you imagine beating up on your students and colleagues the way you so often beat up on yourself here on your blog? You wouldn't think of doing so! Yes, it's good to put a prod on yourself to improve however and whenever you can. However, just as you wouldn't expect one of your freshman undergraduates to have the knowledge and experience of a graduate student, you might do well to accept that you, too, are on a journey of growth, and that some failings are inevitable. When you fail, use it as a learning opportunity, not as an occasion to break out the cilice and mortify yourself further.

Thursday, 07 November, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

It is something I do try to do. I am better at it sometimes than others... but I think it is key to try as hard as possible to do so in order to live a life of service. Interestingly, I find when I can be in that “zone” of actually doing this, I tend to feel happier as well... a bonus!

Thursday, 07 November, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I appreciate your comments. I especially like your use of the word “cilice”. I have not thought of that word in a long time since it is not commonly talked about much in modern society. It is more of an old-timey word from my youth. In some ways, I feel the use of a cilice whether actual or figurative, can help a person recognize their shortcomings so that they can figure out more successfully how to BECOME a better individual. At least that is how I have understood the concept. I do consider it important to try to be good and helpful for others. It is emotionally difficult, but probably necessary, for me to be more aware of when I fail.

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 07 November, 2019  
Blogger David P. said...

don't know if they're doing this in your area churches, but ours are promoting this from the U.S. Conference of Bishops:

https://www.wearesaltandlight.org/civilize-it

Friday, 08 November, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home