The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Been Thinking and Considering


 

I have been thinking a great deal about the following multifaceted question:

Is it possible, that I might be able to pick up the pipe again, and indulge in its sincere pleasures and joys in a "prescribed" fashion?  What I mean by "prescribed" is that I am thinking, could I perhaps allow myself one pipe each two week period of time? 

My thought about the above are are that it sounds pretty damn delightful an idea to me.  

But then, I also wonder... would such a plan simply a) cause me to feel more intensely the loss of the pipe and pipe tobacco in-between the allowed pipe bowls, or b) would it satisfy my yearning because I could anticipate the future arrival of another one every two weeks?

Or, perhaps c) would be a risk factor to consider...... might having one pipe, and experiencing again its charms.... would I simply cascade back into a full-time, whenever desired pipe smoker like I had been my whole life up to approximately 35 months ago?    

Is it possible, I could succeed and flourish with the one pipe every two weeks approach?  I do not know.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Is there a PLACE you only visit every couple of weeks? If you could form a mental association of not just a time but also a place where you would smoke your pipes, I suspect you would have a greater likelihood of remaining a "scheduled" pipe smoker.

Or maybe you could accept the likelihood of becoming a frequent pipe smoker again, but constrain it to a place? Perhaps a favorite desk or chair, where you could have in sight a photo of your father and father-in-law?

Only you can determine just how much comfort and pleasure your pipes give you. What if it turns out that enjoying your pipes regularly is one small-but-significant part of making yourself a better (more relaxed, more peaceful, more humble) person? Would you want to be a better person just once every two weeks?

If Catholicism fell out of fashion, would you resolve to please the people around you by refraining from praying the Rosary and going to Mass except for just once every two weeks? Or would you recognize the value it brings to your life and keep on as before? Maybe the situation with your pipes is at least somewhat similar?

Wednesday, 27 January, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Pat:

You make a variety of strong points. I am going to contemplate the matter more and try to reach a decision. I may be writing about my thoughts some before deciding.

This blog is a space for me to talk about thoughts on my mind that do rummage around there quit a bit.... typically they are thoughts that I have that are deep inside me, but do not have other viable outlets in the rest of my day. Being able to get them onto “paper” as it is somewhat, helps me to try to clarify these roaming thoughts. I greatly appreciate your thoughtful comments and those of others as well. I thank you!

Wednesday, 27 January, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Not sure what even say. I think most things are ok in moderation, if one can keep to that. Top of head only three I can come up with that wouldn't fall under moderation, murder, steeling, and tormenting.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Thursday, 28 January, 2021  
Blogger BBC said...

I have no idea, smoke a joint and ponder on it. hahahahahahahahaha

Thursday, 28 January, 2021  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Two years ago, I was still trying to handle my addiction to sugar with moderation. ("I'll open this bag of cookies and have one or two a day for a week." Only to end up eating the whole bag in one evening. But people change as time moves on. I have lost my craving for sugar and so I am free and able to enjoy it in moderation. I don't know what to tell you, only what's happened for me.

Friday, 29 January, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home