The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Skinnerian Reward

B. F. Skinner did very classic work with rodents where he developed the theory called "Operant Conditioning".  This theory basically states "Operant conditioning is a type of associative learning process through which the strength of a behavior is modified by reinforcement or punishment. It is also a procedure that is used to bring about such learning."

I regularly discuss his work in several of my classes, and many of his ideas have played a role in much of the ancillary aspects of my research work as well.  He is one of about six prominent biology and/or psychology researchers who did considerable amounts of groundbreaking research in the 1940s  into the early 1970s whose work I especially respect and admire.  

In thinking about operant conditioning a bit more in preparation for a class lecture, I was thinking about how in my life, my pipes and pipe smoking have been truthfully a reward system, a "reinforcement" using the Skinner term, for me throughout much of my life.  It is of course, abundantly obvious that I have always liked pipes, pipe tobaccos, and pipe smoking.  That is however, only part of the picture.  I have always KNOWN, but have not really put into verbiage the idea that I have used and viewed my pipes, and pipe tobaccos, and my smoking of my pipes as a "reward system" for me.  When I would accomplish a "job well done" or force myself to complete a needed but arduous task, or when I would finish an especially laborious and long work day, I would ebulliently and joyfully reach for my pipe as a method to celebrate the accomplishment.  It was a true reward I would grant myself.  

Now, that said, this does not mean that I would not smoke my pipe at other times too.... to help in thinking, to receive solace, etc.  But... I think the "reward" aspect of my usage and indulgence has been always my favorite aspect.  In looking at my recollection of my dream I wrote about yesterday, pipes with my father-in-law were rewards for me, and likely for him as well.  

While there are so many different aspects of pipe smoking that I miss..... the history of it, the memories of it with my father, father-in-law, old college friends,  the way it could help foster my thoughts, the way it would give me comfort when I was sad or upset.... I can say that I *miss* most the enjoyment of my pipes as a reward to myself.  

I have attempted to find and utilize other "rewards" but truth-be-told, none of them (at least not yet, but hell, it is has been a long time) has ever FELT as much like a reward to me as having a pipe does. 

PipeTobacco

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Keeping yourself to just one reward every two weeks doesn't sound feasible... or psychologically healthy, for that matter.

Wednesday, 10 February, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Very, very true.

Wednesday, 10 February, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You should be rewarded for your use of bleeder in my blog. It gave me a darn good laugh.

Wednesday, 10 February, 2021  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

In the military I was involved in training critical forces to survive capture and imprisonment. Operant Conditioning is the psychological tactic used by enemy combatants to control POW's

I have a little trouble making the leap from there to pipe smoking, but I do agree with you on the pleasure of smoking a pipe. Cigarette smoking, chewing are even cigars are more of an unconscious habit (at least to me) while pipe smoking was pure enjoyment.

Having different pipes and handling the pipes were part of the pleasure.

Sitting by a beautiful wild lake in the evening after fishing all day and lighting up a pipe is a wonderful memory. Damn I miss it.
the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 12 February, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home