The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, January 29, 2021

Low Energy Mode


 

I am not sure if it is because it is Friday, or because we are in the midst of the coldest/driest few days we have had all Winter thus far, but I feel awfully damn lethargic, sleepy, and unfocused.  I am tending to lean towards it being such an abrupt change in temperature and humidity.  The last three days have been about 20 degrees cooler than what we have been experiencing this Winter and it is a very, very dry cold.  

Now, that said, this is still a pretty damn mild Winter here so far.  At this time of the year, we CAN reasonably expect at least some days where the low temperature is perhaps sinking to around -25 F ( ~ -30 C).  It is no where near that cold right now.  But, I do know how my body tends to respond.  If there is an abrupt temperature change downward, I often feel exhausted through a period of acclimation.  The other direction (an abrupt change in warmth) is typically easier to deal with, although I do know I tend to feel more tired in that scenario as well.  

Running on the treadmill is getting really old too.  :)  I am still right on track to finish my minimum of 52 miles (~84 km) this week, but it has felt more like a chore.  In my peek ahead to the weather next week (Weather Channel app)... there seems to be 2, possibly 3 days next week that will be a few degrees above freezing and little to no precipitation in the foreseeable future!!!  That may mean I can run outside again.... and I will have to plan to try to put in extra miles on those days so less has to be on the damn treadmill.  :)

In my contemplation of returning to my pipes, there are a wide array of different ideas I have percolating around in my neurons.  With my being pretty close to hitting a full three years of not indulging in my pipes, I guess it would be logical to at least work through my future game plan in the interim.  February 14th 2021 will be my date for having reached three full years of not participating in the pipe tobacco hobby.  So, I am going to take the next 2+ weeks to explore in a deeper way where I want to go from there.  I may be able to reach a definitive plan by then or perhaps not.  I am not sure.  

I will conclude with just a quick list of random thoughts I have been having.  These are quick "bites" of ideas I may want to expand upon in the next few weeks:

*  Three years is a LONG time to have gone without my pipes.  

*  If I were to return to the hobby, would it be worth it to only do so, say once every two weeks?  I think about this with the idea that *probably* one pipe every two weeks would not be a harm physically.  

*  But, would it be more "work" or perhaps more "aggravation" to adopt a once every two week approach?  In some ways I think it may be harder waiting those intervals than going all in, back to the hobby or staying away.  

*  I sometimes, in my worry about damnable Covid-19, imagine how horrible it would be to be one of the Covid-19 people who does die from the virus.  And, even though it is stupid to think this way, I sometimes have the thought that if I got the virus and it ultimately killed me, I would be so very angry about dying of course, but also angry about the waste of time the three years of abstaining from my pipes would ultimately be in that situation.  

* I believe that physically it has been a benefit to refrain.  In the same vein I think I would accrue the same benefit (at least ~95% of the physical benefit) if I went back with only a once every two weeks pattern.  But, from an emotional/mental health perspective, I am not sure where any of this "benefit" falls.  

* I can say that I do not enjoy being a "lone wolf" pipe smoker.  Pipe smoking is not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be (even though it IS enjoyable) because there are no buddies or friends who share the enjoyment with me anywhere nearby any longer.  I have two old friends from college who still smoke pipes but they are all the way across the country and really are not a viable "buddy" in the way I did relish the socialization aspect of the pursuit most of my life.  

* In the same breath, however... in some ways, I think I should do what I enjoy in life regardless of what others think.  As long as I am considerate and polite, my choices should not be impacted by what others do around me.  

* I need to put down on paper in a detailed way the spiritual advice I received from old Father Keith and Father David.  They both helped me understand my thoughts better when I was contemplating quitting 3-4 years ago.  Their insights I think will be helpful both for a return to the hobby or a continued refrain.  Perhaps writing that down should be a bit priority for me next week.  

* Even though it is impossible, I sometimes do imagine being back 50 years ago in the 60s and 70s, or further still to 100 years ago in the 20s or 150 years ago in the 1860s and 1870s.... all times where the choices and decisions were far simpler.  Hell, I loved everything about pipes back in the 1960s through probably the end of the 1980s.  It wasn't really until perhaps the mid-to-late 1990s that another, negative voice would occasionally creep into my psyche about it... and I could ignore that for the most part for another decade or so.... until the negative voice grew louder and more persistent.

Those are my bullet points of my rambling, scattershot thoughts.  

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Sound like you miss your relationship with pipes. It must be painful in someway. Have you thought of writing poetry or drawing of pipe relationship.

Coffee is on and stay safe

Friday, 29 January, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

There's one obvious solution to your dilemma.

Retire from the University, and you will no longer have your conflict with those two difficult people, nor will you have the administrative burdens. To keep busy during retirement, open a tobacconist shop where other pipe smokers will come to you and befriend you. No more "lone wolf" and no more professional aggravation, and pipe smoking would be transformed from an ongoing worry to a daily job requirement!

Saturday, 30 January, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

If you're cyborging anyway, give a look into the YouTube Pipe Community. I'm as much of a "lurker" as a participant these days...but you have people from all walks of life partaking in the sacred hobby. The subjects range from varieties of pipes and tobaccos to personal anecdotes from said path. A former pipe-smoker has once again returned to the practice, promising his children he'll cut down on the sugar instead. His channel goes by the name of JOHN BAIN OLD BLOKE WEST SUSSEX. He'll go on there, sometimes smoking, sometimes not, and regale us with his ribald tales from his misspent youth. Sometimes he goes riding on his newly purchased Harley Davidson and takes us along. He's quite a character. And that's just ONE channel. I know there are many demands on your time...but the YTPC is a great community. And the more videos you watch the more you suss out your likes and dislikes and the personalities you want to hear from. If nothing else, that Lone Wolf feeling will abate quite a bit. There are ZOOM smoke meetups always being set up, (I tried that once...wasn't for me) I've Messengered a couple of British Cousins over the pond after having done a video and shot the breeze with them. Many fine friendships are in the forming. Many years ago, I wanted to be some kind of a pipeman...and I was attracted to your unique blog. You were one of the metaphorical stones on that particular path which led me onward. That's why I look in on you now from time to time. While I'm not a pipe grand-master scholar I do consider myself some kind of pipe-smoker as irregular as it is. And it is thanks to you...and people like you. Pipe smoking has made me a better person overall even though I'm still learning. So give it a go. Search out your Briar Brethren, Professor. You will be warmly welcomed back into the fold.

Sunday, 31 January, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

Here's a favorite...a bit long and a little ribald...but he never fails to cheer me up.....https://youtu.be/-_tKgq4zBo4

Sunday, 31 January, 2021  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

How do you cope with those temperatures?! It's about 2 degrees C here and it's wet and I'm refusing to go out!

Sunday, 31 January, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home