The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, September 27, 2021

Halloween Shirt


 

My wife and I went to an antiques show at a Fair Grounds on Sunday.  We tend to like to look at all the items that are displayed.  These events are "labeled" as antique shows.... but in reality they are "Flea Markets" and are a lot of fun.  I commented to my wife while we were looking around that we should pretend we are contestants on the television show, "Flea Market Flip".  I greatly enjoy that show and think it would be great fun to be a contestant.  

While we were looking around my wife found a decorated shirt that she really liked and wanted to get for Halloween.  The shirt was bright yellow, and it had two bees on the shirt.  Each bee had its stinger showing, pointing downwards, and the big abdominal segment of each bee was rather round and globular in appearance.... a bit out of scale for a typical honeybee.  And because the shirt was produced by a honey farm, the heads of the bees were covered in honey.  Below the bees were the words, "Boo Bees!"

Now, when my wife first showed the shirt to me, she was extremely pleased with it and wanted to buy one.  I was actually rather surprised that she would want this shirt, and kind of acted purposefully absentminded (more so than is my natural inclination) and worked to get her to come over with me to another nearby booth, before she could purchase the shirt, saying, "Ohh... come here, I have to show you this!!!!!...... You can get the shirt in a couple of minutes.....".

My wife was a bit put off at me about my insistence to  come immediately to see this "thing" I had to show her, and I could see a bit of a "grumpy squint" when she was looking at me, as I brought her over to see some "doo-dad".  

But then I whispered in my wife's ear..... "Are you sure you want one of those shirts?.... you DO realize don't you.... that the saying on the shirt is meant to be a play on a coarse term for your breasts."  My wife thought about it for a beat or two, and then her face grew quite red, when she realized what the pun on the shirt was meaning.   I KNEW my wife did not immediately get the "pun" on the shirt.  And, I also KNEW my wife would NOT want to wear any shirt that had a saying on it that was referencing her breasts.  

She did not want to go back to the table with the bee shirts because of her embarrassment.  We quickly moved down the row to other tables.  

Within a few minutes she was laughing with me about this, being shocked that she had not realized what the intent of the saying on the shirt was.  She had sincerely thought it was just a cute Halloween inspired shirt.  :)

Also at the flea market, I saw a variety of pipes.  Yet, all of them were decrepit, gnawed at things that had seen pretty rough use.  No gems.  Not that I need any pipes anyway.... I have plenty..... but it is nice too look.  There was ONE pipe tobacco humidor/pipe rack  that I really liked.... it was in the shape of a small globe and it had spaces for about 10 or so pipes around it in a ring that looked sort of like the ring of Saturn.  The globe opened up to hold pipe tobacco.  It was actually really nice in design.  I ultimately ended up not getting it for two reasons..... a) I have several pipe humidor/pipe racks already from over the decades, and b) unfortunately, this one was not really salvageable.... or at least not salvageable with my particular set of refurbishing skills.  The beautiful map on the globe had been ripped off in parts, and part of the rack itself had sustained some pretty significant water damage that no sanding and staining and varnishing would fix.  It looked like it probably had been in a corner of a basement for a long while and part of it may have been sitting in a puddle with the level of warping and splitting of wood in that part.  

I did dicker with one fellow and ended up purchasing a Seth Thomas mantle clock that I liked.  It is a true, wind-up clock, and is currently in rough shape, but I do like to fuss around with clocks and fix them.  I should be able to refurbish it and get the innards up to snuff with a little elbow grease.    I ended up paying $20 for the beast.  He originally had $65 listed on it, but I talked with him about it and he could see I knew a relatively reasonable amount about older clocks, and as it was very near closing on the last day, and the fellow wanted less to pack back into his large van.  It should be a fun project.  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

My boyfriend has become a garage sale/estate sale enthusiast which I don't share. At our ages, we need to be getting rid of stuff, not getting more. As it is, he can't park any of his vehicles in his huge 2 car garage. :)

Monday, 27 September, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

Very discreet and civilized, Professor. Good on you. And by the way...Going down to 20 bucks from 65 is some excellent dickering. You sure you're not a Yankee. You do live close enough to the area...Sounds like a good day.

Tuesday, 28 September, 2021  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm with your wife. I couldn't see what was wrong with the t-shirt immediately!

Saturday, 02 October, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home