The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, October 08, 2021

Generilzable Information & 4,775


 

Eating dinner was a wonderful experience last night.  I ended up having:

1.  An enormous salad (like every day).

2.  A large bowl of vegetarian "chick" chili (substituting chickpeas for chicken in this case.... it was some we made when one of our vegetarian kids was eating with us and we had some that was frozen from that time).

3.  A pinto bean and quinoa burrito with enchilada style spices

4.  An enormous bowl of broccoli and cauliflower

5.  A bowl of my favorite sauteed chickpea & chard side dish (very spicy). 

I was so hungry that even cardboard would have tasted good.... but the above was truly wonderful after a day of dental fasting. 

* * * * *

I stopped running this morning after 9.2 miles... because I had been rather ahead of my mileage goal all week and hit 55 miles total after finishing the 9.2.  I have now successfully ran between 53-55 miles EVERY WEEK for almost two years now without any deviation.  This means I can take TWO DAYS off from running.  I will walk 5 miles on those days, of course.  But, it is nice to be finished a day earlier than usual with running.  

* * * * *

I weighed 161 pounds this morning.  I have had my weight in the "NORMAL" BMI range now for somewhere around 13 years.  My BMI this morning was 21.  At my highest weight, which would have been around 2001, my BMI was a bit over 37.  

* * * * *

I had not counted in quite a while, so I thought I would do so today.  Today marks the 4,775th day in a row where I have walked at least 5 miles each day..... most days now I am running..... and running 53-55 miles a week, but even on days off from running, I walk at least 5 miles.  This means I have been consistent in doing AT LEAST 5 miles of walking (or more) every damn day for OVER 13 years!!!!!  Before that, I was walking some as I lost weight but I then made a commitment to myself that I would do this every day.... and now it has been over 13 years of that consistency. 

* * * * *

The muscles associated with my mandible are sore and tender today, especially in the mandibular joint region, but that is normal and typical for me following a dental appointment because of the conscious force/effort I need to apply to keep my jaw open during inspection and cleaning.   Hopefully by tomorrow or at least by Sunday, the soreness will have dissipated.  

* * * * *

Last night, when reading in bed, I chose to read some of "Behind the Mirror" by one of my favorite historical biologists, Konrad Lorenz.  I have read most of his works multiple times, but I especially enjoy this book because it is a mix of science, philosophy, and biography.  After growing sleepy-eyed, I went to the back of the book to look at the dust jacket, and (as I knew it was) there was Herr Doktor Professor Lorenz's photograph.... one of his classic ones with him holding his pipe while speaking.  The pipe is a very simple, full-bent briar without ornamentation.  I have a few of the same shape and they are very nearly identical to the one he has in the photograph.  The photograph, probably from the late 1960s or early 1970s crystalized a thought in my mind that I wanted to write down here.  In some ways I see a corollary between that era image and 2021 with the biblical "Garden of Eden".  In the time of that photograph, smoking a pipe was just a pastime, a pursuit that some folks engaged in.  It was simple, it was easy, it was beyond enjoyable and pleasant.  It *was* akin to the "Garden of Eden" before the man and the woman ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge.... a blissfully simple, enjoyable time.  I had many such years, hell... decades... of that myself in regards to pipe smoking.  But.... I estimate this roughly.... but starting around 2005, and getting progressively stronger especially after 2010... pipe smoking became less simple, more "needing of comment" in the public's perception, and more of a hassle to enjoy freely.  The awareness of this growing feeling of the beautiful hobby becoming more of a hassle than a pleasure is a bit akin in my mind to the after effects of eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge.  Adam and Eve no longer felt as "carefree" but felt encumbered with their knowledge.  In the same way, my pipe smoking grew less "carefree" especially after 2010.... except when either by myself or with my father-in-law..... other times it would feel like it would end up being a focal point for discussion... sometimes good discussion, sometimes rancorous discussion.  But, either way, it lost its gentle carefree nature (again, except while alone, by myself, or with my father-in-law).  Having it become a continual focal point instead of just a carefree pursuit, grew tiresome.  I miss the pipe smoking times before the tree of knowledge was consumed.  Lorenz's photograph reminded me of that earlier time.

PipeTobacco


9 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Glad your dental apptmt went so well and that you are done with that for awhile. The meal you had last night sounds wonderful and very healthful.

Friday, 08 October, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

The food sounds delicious! I start out my chili as vegan and always use chickpeas as one of my kinds of beans. As it gets colder, I crave chili. Interesting take on the pipe smoking. I think there are many activities(habits and dietary preferences) that have taken on this negative connotation over the years. Way to go on the exercise! 13 years is a long time. You are truly dedicated.

Friday, 08 October, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, I like your Garden of Eden analogy, but I would suggest putting it a bit differently.

In 1964, a Surgeon General free of political pressure released a report in which pipe smoking was shown to be CORRELATED with longer life-span even than not smoking, and FAR higher life-span than cigarette smoking.

Correlation is not causation, of course, but when the report was released there was a MASSIVE shift in public perception as many cigarette smokers took up pipe smoking.

Of course, with them, they brought their other cigarette smoking behaviors with them, thus lessening the correlation between pipe smoking and longer life.

And with each new Surgeon General's report, there was increasing public health pressure to stop this trend, to make cigarette smokers quit tobacco entirely rather than think of pipe smoking as a "safe" alternative. And, as more and more pipe smokers were in fact former cigarette smokers, the health correlation decreased further.

God exiled Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden, but it was public health nannies, not God, who exiled pipe smokers from their Garden.

But why don't we see a similar phenomenon around alcohol? It is well-established that for most people it is far healthier to enjoy ONE glass of red wine daily than to abstain entirely. Yet we don't see public health nannies demanding abstention because some people abuse alcohol and can't stick to its responsible use -- they tried that with Prohibition a century ago, and it failed badly. Unfortunately, they're now trying for a similar outcome regarding pipes.

And yet, even to this day, if you look carefully enough, you'll find a few honest studies that admit that the health profile for "pipe smokers who've never smoked cigarettes" looks vastly different from that of "smokers" in general.

Friday, 08 October, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Also, Professor, if I am reading correctly it's entirely likely that AT LEAST three of your five dinner items contained chickpeas! Maybe you should drop your old fantasy of growing your own tobacco, and instead set aside a few hundred square feet as a personal chickpea farm? They apparently grow well enough in Montana, so it might not be too much of a stretch for your climate.

Friday, 08 October, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your commitment and discipline are unique and laudable.

Saturday, 09 October, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

One the greatest things I've learned, Professor, is to really stop caring what people think. I met this gent at a bus-stop when I was on the way to work. Erudite, gentlemanly...then he lit up a roll up cigarette during his chat and apologized while doing so. I told him, "You don't have to apologize to me. You're an adult. You can do what you want." We were outdoors...but even that is becoming policed. (Smoking shelters at the airport.) Speaking of which, there was one rare time I lit up AT said shelter at Logan Airport...more for "practice" than anything else. And I got some commentary. Good, amiable commentary. Memories of someone they knew who smoked a pipe. That I cleaned the thing afterward. Still, I know how you feel. Smoking...ANYTHING anymore feels like a private thing. Hence, the smoke-shops that are available where you can sit down, light up, chat...just like in the "old days". I find myself hesitating with this, only having ever smoked with one person before. How would that conversation go? I'm not particularly social but the place itself...managed by a pastor...sounds welcoming. Maybe there's this fear that I'll come off as a fraud in august company...

Saturday, 09 October, 2021  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Your meal doesn't sound as good as a bacon double cheese burger with onion rings. If you die early, think of all the delicious greasy meals you have missed.
Food is like sex, it becomes boring if it is too regimented. Life is the same way.

You are in an interesting academic field. I would love to read scientific updates and findings in your area of expertise, along with your personal bios.
Looking forward
the Ol'Buzzard

Saturday, 09 October, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Never heard of Konrad Lorenz. But that reason I like blogs. One can expand there mind.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Saturday, 09 October, 2021  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Gosh, you do take good care of your teeth! I am fortunate to have pretty good teeth but still hate visits to the dentist.
One year, in about November, I had to have a filling, near the back of my jaw. Afterwards for ages, I couldn't open my mouth very wide. Do you know Lindt truffles? Quite a large chocolate that are especially popular at Christmas. I couldn't open my mouth enough to put one in! It was terrible!

Tuesday, 12 October, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home