The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Struggle

This entire week has been one huge struggle, and I am feeling rather fed up with it at the moment.  I feel quite angry on several fronts.  

The supposed dental appointment I had yesterday.... turned out to be actually on Thursday.  "Apparently" I wrote the date down wrong.   Now I have to go through all the same sh*t of not eating all damn day long just like I did on Tuesday.  I just have to say again how I hate going to the dentist. 

I am p*ssed about a whole helluva lot more than just the damn dentist.... but I cannot talk about it at the moment.  

Just about the ONLY semi-decent thing I can think of at the moment is that I have 33 miles done this week already (Monday through Wednesday).  The runs were not my favorite experiences, but they were good to get out of the way each day.  

I feel tired, I feel I never get ahead in classes, I feel like I am constantly struggling and having to get all my sh*t done at the last minute.  The tasks that I do end up doing, almost inevitably are done wrong and I have redo them again.  The biggest case in point is the damnable learning management system we have (that term, learning management system is a damn stupid, high falloting, "1984-esque" garbarge term that we have to use around here to describe our "electronic classroom".  Inside our beloved "electronic classroom" we have our "electronic gradebook".  Since damnable Covid hit, we have been "guided" by the powers that be to use our damn stupid learning management system to hold and publish all of our classes papers, grades and other b*llsh*t.  So, EVEN THOUGH I AM IN FACE-TO-FACE teaching.... I have to use the "eloquent" (extreme sarcasm) learning management system's gradebook.  

So, my ~270 students all had their first lecture exam last week.  Basically, in a nutshell, the damnable learning management system's gradebook is quirky and stupid and does not follow traditional logic.  Because of a truly asinine aspect of the gradebook, I cannot create a column to input grades to a QUIZ OR TEST by calling the category a QUIZ or a TEST.  If I do so, it for some damn illogical reason defaults to making the point value of the QUIZ or TEST be get this..... ZERO POINTS..... EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A DAMN QUESTION IN CREATING THE CATEGORY THAT STATES..... HOW MANY POINTS WILL THIS QUIZ or TEST BE?

I set up this damnable column and inputted all the grades for all the students...... and then it showed it as worth ZERO POINTS which royally screwed up the percentage for the students.... and I was then flooded with damn near 270 emails about it. So, I presumed I did something wrong, and redid the entire sh*tty thing again....... and it had the same sh*tty results.  I tried one last time..... telling myself I MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN TO SAVE SOME ASININE SETTING OR I DIDN'T TOGGLE SOMETHING. So I did it a THIRD TIME...... still ZERO POINTS.  

I was so utterly fed up that I finally called campus IT (and waited half an hour on the phone to talk to someone).  I come to learn..... APPARENTLY.... in our "learning management system" it is not allowed to call a test score either a QUIZ or a TEST.... EVEN THOUGH THOSE ARE CATEGORIES LISTED!!!!!!  DUE TO SOME ASSININE QUIRK OF THE SYSTEM, those categories default to zero point values, no matter what you input.  The IT guy told me to call it an ASSIGNMENT, and then I will have no further troubles. 

Argh!!!!!  No wonder I have TMJ.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Treat yourself to something relaxing, Professor! Or, maybe, when you go on your next run, imagine that each time you put your foot to the pavement, you are stomping on the fingers of the chumps who designed that awful (and ironically named) learning management system. Take care of yourself, good sir!

Wednesday, 06 October, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

Electronic gradebooks, oh how I remember the frustrations and the swearing. I would grade and input a whole set of scores and then it would refuse to save. I thought I would lose my mind. I at least could choose categories for my grading: tests/quizzes, participation, assignments and daily points. I weighted them appropriately which was also helpful. However, now that 0s are not allowed(even for a missing test or assignment), I wouldn't thrive. I think my current colleagues have to use an Incomplete--which automatically gives the student 40%...for turning in NOTHING. For not scoring a single point on the quiz or test!! OK, I'll calm down now. I'm retired. Deep breaths. I really feel for you, Professor. Glad you're getting some running in at least.

Wednesday, 06 October, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm sorry. This covid thing in so many ways been a nightmare.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Wednesday, 06 October, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I used computer markbook programs with success for a long time, but I don't know what they are like now. It looked like they might be getting silly at about the time I chose to retire.

Thursday, 07 October, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home