The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, September 01, 2022

MIL


 

In regards to my Mother-In-Law, there have been quite a few positives and negatives relating to her move to an assisted living apartment thus far:

  • It is nice having her closer to us than before. (positive)
  • She has been eating more consistently. (positive)
  • She has already been seemingly a bit less confused. (positive)
  • She is taking her medications more reliably (positive)
  • When she goes to activities (art, bingo, dinner in the dining room, movies at their theater, church, etc) she enjoys the activities. (positive)
  • However, my wife is spending huge amounts of time there coaxing, cajoling, and insisting that she participate in these various things. (negative)
  • When my Mother-In-Law is left to her own devices, and the staff at the complex come and ask her to go to dinner, or go to a movie, or go anywhere, my mother-in-law refuses.  (negative).
  • My mother-in-law has taken more showers than from when she was at home, where she would refuse to do so.... sometimes for weeks. (positive).
  • However, my mother-in-law has only taken showers when the aide AND my wife were there.  The last time, my wife could not be there due to a work obligation she could not reschedule, and when the aide came for the shower, my mother-in-law refused. (negative).  
  • For the lion's share of things, my wife's siblings are not doing a damn thing to help. (negative)

My wife cannot be there 24/7.  It is very, very frustrating that her siblings are so aggravating and unhelpful.  It is frustrating that my mother-in-law refuses to do most things when my wife is not there. It is frustrating in general, and I hope that it can move into something more stable and reliable.  My wife is there SO MUCH currently that it is frustrating.  I have been there a lot as well.  

  • Ran 10.3 miles (~16.5 km) this morning.  I have been a bit ahead of schedule, so I could run this shorter amount.  And, on Friday, I only have to run 4.7 miles (7.5 km) to reach my weekly goal of 55 miles in a week (~89 km).  
  • PCS = 8.  I think I have to try to outline here my ideas about the risks and benefits of returning to my pipes.  I guess, I am thinking more of the risks and benefits of trying to establish a prescribed, limited pattern of being allowed to return to them.  By this, I mean, I have to try to examine what I believe may be comfortable, and compare that with what I believe would be as close to worry-free as I could be, and see how divergent or convergent those two scenarios may be.  Perhaps I will try to flesh that out tomorrow or at least in the next few days.  Hopefully, that may help me see with a bit more clarity, realistically my options or lack of them.
  • In my younger days, I very foolishly believed when I would reach "grey-haired, old codger" status like I am now..... that I would "have life all figured out".  Unfortunately, THAT was just an unrealistic pipe dream. I am just a confused/conflicted grey-haired, old codger. 
PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Would your MIL behave for her other children or is she closest to your wife? Most of what you've written is positive but the negatives are very concerning. Hope it improves! I think making a plan/outline for the pipe situation is an excellent idea. Just like a teacher! Your Pipe Lesson Plan!

Thursday, 01 September, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems to be six of one, half a dozen of the other with your. MiL.

Friday, 02 September, 2022  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

My mother in law who went into senior living place. Wasn't much into certain activity. I think she liked it there because people of her own age.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Saturday, 03 September, 2022  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That is frustrating. It must be very hard for both you and your wife. Maybe if your wife didn't go in mil would eventually behave for the aides? But that seems cruel too.

Sunday, 04 September, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home