The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, November 04, 2022

Contemplations


 

Just a busy day of playing catch-up on a lot of work, both teaching and especially in research.  A lot of the effort though is mindless "busy-work" so it allowed my neurocrocircuitry to spin around quite a bit in a contemplative fashion. So, beyond the daily tally of things below, I pose questions I have been contemplating:

  • 11.4 miles ran this morning. Done for the week.
  • PCS = 7.  I am apparently "stuck in a rut" so-to-speak.
  • I listened to a very nice Capuchin Mass this morning while I ran and before I prayed the rosary.  It helped me to try to focus more on appreciating life and not to focus on what has hurt.  

 

Contemplative thoughts/questions:

  1. Is it possible to be a comfortable, "at-ease" pipe smoker in 2022, or do the myriad of societal pressures make that not really feasible?
  2. Is there a way where I can OCCASIONALLY smoke my pipe WITHOUT it being too much work and struggle to NOT SMOKE MY PIPE at other times?  Here I am contemplating if it is easier to simply stay away.... or if it is possible to occasionally have a pipe but have it be a similar work effort to abstaining and not (as I fear) HARDER and MORE EFFORT.  
  3. Is the beauty and charm of pipe smoking (that I felt back in the past)..... simply a confluence of "right place and right time" events that just is no longer possible?  
  4. A big part of what I miss in pipe smoking is also the congenial socialization of it.  It no longer seems possible to have that sort of "pipe smoking buddy" sort of friendship at least in my locale.

I guess that is about it.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

i don’t think that I have encountered a pipe smoker since I was in uno in the late 60s. I have probably told you that I tried a bit then but couldn’t keep the blasted thing lit. Now, one very seldom meets smokers of any kind.

Friday, 04 November, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

My dad smoked a pipe for a while. I liked the smell of that, unlike cigarettes or cigars. If the socialization aspect of pipe smoking no longer exists, would it be worth it? Would the present reality live up to the wonderful memories of your past experiences?

Friday, 04 November, 2022  
Blogger GaP said...

If you are leaning toward pipe smoking, check out some YouTube Pipe Community (YTPC) videos...A great resource and varied group of people. The subjects range from Pipe and Tobacco Reviews to just general life-chats. Every "pipe-presenter" brings something different to the table. (I just got a primer from a nice gent in Eastern Europe on how to properly pack a pipe...and this method seems feasible. I'll find out today. Many pipers zoom each other for a pipe-smoke and conversation.) It could be a way of not feeling so alone as a pipe-smoker.

Here's my latest video as an example...Watch a few minutes of it if you have the time and notion...

https://youtu.be/ZxNrnA6-cjI



Saturday, 05 November, 2022  
Blogger Pam J. said...

You're so disciplined about other things, maybe you could try to give yourself a firm limit: smoke 2 bowls once every 3 days as needed. But only 2 bowls (or 1?) at a sitting and never more often than every 3 (or 2?) days. Whatever you choose.

Saturday, 05 November, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home