The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 21, 2022

Upcoming Birthday

 


 

This Thanksgiving (Thursday the 24th) will be my Dad's Birthday.  If he were alive on that day, it would be his 99th birthday.  I have been thinking about him a lot, especially this past weekend.  I wish I would have had more time with him here on Earth.  I learned so much from him.  And, I had such great times with him.  Later in life, I always especially enjoyed eating Coney Dogs with him, drinking root beer, and enjoying pipes.  While the love and the bond are still there with him as he is with my Mom in heaven.... I still feel the loss of not having him here on Earth.  

  • My usual 11 miles of running this morning (~18km).  I have to try to figure a way to fit more miles in somehow this week.  The track is closed on Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, and so... I am going to be struggling to get in my whole 55 miles (~89km) this week.  I will need to do some doubling up somehow.... or fail at maintaining my goal.  I really do not want to do that, though.  I have to find and order a replacement motor for my damnable treadmill.  That would give me options (if I can replace the damn motor).  
  • PCS - 8 today.  I had a vivid dream last evening and it was of me smoking my pipe and ice fishing.  I had not gone ice fishing in probably a decade now, but in the dream, I was sitting out on an old, orange "Home Depot" bucket, hunkering down over a hole in the lake, with my equipment hoping to snag a fish.  I was smoking one of my "big bowled" pipes filled 3/4 with beautiful, cube-cut Sir Walter Raleigh, topped on the upper 1/4 with a pipe store aromatic house blend.  It was extremely tasty and I liked holding the bowl of the pipe in my hands as a sort of "hand-warmer".  In the dream, oddly, I could see myself as well, and I could see icy crystals form on my mustache as I would exhale warm, moist air from my nostrils.  The alarm woke me up before I caught a fish, though, as it's clanging started at my usual 4:50am.  

The image above is not me, but it is similar to how I used to dress when ice fishing.

 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

The alarm woke me up before I caught a fish, though, as it's clanging started at my usual 4:50am.

Ah, so you are indeed a typical fisherman, Professor -- always ready with an excuse as to why you didn't catch that fish! :-)

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with happy memories of the past while you make new memories in the present!

Monday, 21 November, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

It sounds like you have wonderful and loving memories of your father which are what we hold on to when they leave us. I too would love to have had more time with my beloved father but not as he was the last few months of his life. For 92 years he was healthy and strong and that's how I'll remember him. Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Monday, 21 November, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You remind me tat the ice shacks will be going up on our lake come January I would think.

Monday, 21 November, 2022  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Your dad must of been born, in 1923 same as my mom.
Hubby and I use to ice fish for perch. But talking about dreams. I had one about diving board.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Monday, 21 November, 2022  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

great memories of you and your dad...

Tuesday, 22 November, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home