The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, February 07, 2023

95


 

Although she is not here on Earth, but is instead in Heaven...... I wanted to mention that today would be my Mom's 95th birthday.  Even though she was a petite lady, barely 5 ft 1 in (~155cm), she was always tall in my eyes.  She worked very hard to do good in her life.  She was an avid reader, and she cared deeply about so many things.  She was a very ardent supporter of unionization, and was quite active in her job both helping to establish it as a union shop but also in participating in a wide array of issues/concerns regarding workers rights.  She was a staunch Roman Catholic her entire life, and she was the reason my own father converted to Catholicism.  She would not say yes to his marriage proposal until he agreed. 

Her primary job for ~30 years was in being the head worker at a delicatessen where she made and served all sorts of delectable foods... sandwiches, soups,  salads of all sorts (macaroni, potato, jello, etc).   The deli she worked at was in a fairly rough-scrabble location nearby and was surrounded by a wide array of factories with hundreds and hundreds of blue collar folks who were her regulars because they loved her cooking.  The deli she worked at also sold beer and liquor,  so that too was often an accompaniment to a lot of the purchases she rang up during he workday as well.  Back in the day, it was common for a lot of folks to have a beer or two or three during the lunch break, and many would buy a pint or a fifth of something stronger for later in the day.  

I remember always being excited as a kid when my Mom would occasionally bring me a piece of pie or a piece of cake from the deli.  Even though in many ways it was the same as her home cooking, she often tried more "exotic" (to me) flavors at the deli than the flavors she made at home (my Dad tended to like things consistent and liked some flavors more than others).  

I miss my Mom tremendously.  I hope that she looks down upon me and is possibly proud of what I try to do in my life.  

* * * * * 

  • Ran 11.8 miles today (~19km).  It felt good to push myself.
  • PCS = 8.... seems to be a broken meter stuck on this number.  But, the cravings and desires remain strong, palpable, and the pipes and pipe tobaccos do call to me.  
PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

She sounds like a lady I would have liked but also admired very much. She is still alive in you--your love for her and your memories. I'm sure she would be extremely proud of you and your accomplishments!

Tuesday, 07 February, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

She sounds wonderful and principled.

Tuesday, 07 February, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Happy Birthday to your mom in heaven
Coffee is on and stay safe

Tuesday, 07 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is good to remember. Oddly enough, my mother was about the same height as yours, maybe a wee bit shorter. I am or was almost 6'2". My father was also very short.

Wednesday, 08 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home