The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Okra

I believe I am in a minority of folks, but I actually REALLY ENJOY eating okra.  I have had it a few different ways and have thus far never been disappointed.  The only style I have seen that I did not try was to have batter dipped, deep fried okra (I do not like deep fried foods much, so I usually avoid them.).

My favorite way to eat okra is fairly simple:  I will in the easiest variation take a can of diced tomatoes, add some spices and simmer it in a pan.  Then I will add a bag of chopped, frozen okra and heat until near boiling.  Very delicious. 

Of course, it is even more delicious when I do the same thing with fresh tomatoes and fresh okra, but that is a bit more time consuming. 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I love okra, cooked any way; but I never have it because I live in New England and my wife doesn't like it.

Southern cooking I miss; but not enough to ever go back.
the Ol'Buzzard

Tuesday, 14 May, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I don't like them with tomatoes..ugh..but love them fried..plus I like okra fritters.

Tuesday, 14 May, 2019  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't know about okra, but I am rather opposite to you in that I love fried foods. This is too bad, I suppose, but I can't hep my tastes.

Wednesday, 15 May, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

OB: I had not had much in the way of Southern cooking until I visited "Mary Mac's" when I was on a trip to Atlanta. It was wonderful!

Jackiesue.... you do not like tomatoes generally... or just specifically in the okra method I mention?

Anvil: Yeah, I think it is sort of odd to NOT like fried foods. I think it stems from my childhood where we had a fair amount of frying of foods... and the smell of the hot oil during cooking disagreed with me. It really was not so much the food itself when it was done, but the frying odors were so strong to me that overtime I ended up not really liking fried foods because of that association. Probably the most common fried food I will occasionally eat are french fries.... and even those I am not overly fond of.

Wednesday, 15 May, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Boiled okra is slimy, but so are raw oysters and I love them both
the Ol'Buzzard

Wednesday, 15 May, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home