The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Sir Walter Raleigh





While spending some time straightening up the garage a bit, I found an empty can of Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe Tobacco in one of the cupboards.  I had kept the cans from most of the various "bulk" pipe tobaccos I have enjoyed and used the cans to hold a variety of different odds and ends.  If you were to look in my garage, I have many empty cans of Sir Walter Raleigh, many of Prince Albert Pipe Tobacco, a few of Granger Pipe Tobacco, and even one or two of Half and Half (a variety I was never as fond of for some reason). 

But, what made this particular can of Sir Walter Raleigh interesting to me, was first that it WAS empty of anything I had decided to store it in, and second, there was a little bit of pipe tobacco left in the can, approximately about the same amount shown in the image above, which is perhaps two or maybe three bowlfuls.  It smelled wonderfully earthy and dark.  I transferred this small prize into a baggie and labeled it and put it with my other pipe tobaccos (which are now all arranged in a large tool box since I not currently indulging).  I had not opened the tool box in several months either, and the aromas from when I did.... so beautiful. 

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

My dad when he roll his cigarette he would use drum tabacco. Not sure if they still make it.
Coffee is on

Friday, 17 May, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Prince Albert and Half-Half were my smokes. Back in the sixties L.L. Bean sold pipes and pipe tobacco. They were open twenty-four hours a day - it was more of a warehouse then than a yuppie store. Beans always had cans of pipe tobacco open at the counter when you first arrived and you could fill your pipe and smoke while you browsed the hunting, fishing and camping gear. A different time and different world.

Friday, 17 May, 2019  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I have never smoked but I used to love going into a newsagent/tobacconist that had jars of loose tobacco. the shop smelled wonderful.

Friday, 17 May, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I remember as a kid calling stores and asking them if they had Prince Albert in a can and being told yes, telling them to let him out before he dies.

Sunday, 19 May, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home