The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, February 21, 2022

IPSD & Russia & Ukraine


 

Yesterday (February 20th) was International Pipe Smoking Day.  It was an event that was only started a short while ago (2008) but was designed to bring pipe smokers together in a day of solidarity and acknowledgement. 

While I did not indulge in a pipe yesterday, I considered it.  But, instead it (along with the news) reminded me of a Russian (Ukrainian) friend from graduate school who was/is a pipe smoker, like me.  Back when he was in graduate school with me, Ukraine was part of Russia, so he officially was then a Russian citizen.  

If I can get a chance today, amidst all the busy work I need to do, I am going to try to see if I can locate an e-mail address for my friend and see if I may be able to contact him.  It has been probably 6 years or perhaps a bit longer since I had seen him at an international scientific meeting (not really a surprise, as attending international meetings tends to be only an occasional pursuit for both of us due to the expense).  

I hope the Ukraine remains safe.  It still has more than enough difficulties in many facets.... including the issues still surrounding Chernobyl.  

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I think it's wonderful that you will try to reach out to your friend. I love getting a communication out of the blue.

Monday, 21 February, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home