The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Not A Lot of Traffic


It happens occasionally, and it appears that now is one of those times.... the amount of visits to my blog have gone down considerably in the last week.  Interestingly, I also noticed a road traffic decline that has occurred the last few days in my region as well.  This morning, for instance, the relatively short period of time when I was running on sidewalk associated with a typically heavy traffic road... there were virtually no vehicles.  I have also noticed a decline in postings by the various friends whose blogs I visit and comment upon as well.  

I have noticed these ups and downs before.  I am thinking the blog traffic/writing decline is mostly related to the time of the year (Spring, when many folks are more attuned to outdoor activity), and I am suspicious that the lower vehicular traffic may be due to the stiff price of gasoline currently ($4.67/gallon ~$1.23/liter).

Because yesterday I was only able to get in 7.5 miles before I had to get to the U, today, with a more leisurely start time at the U for me (9:00am), I ran 13.1 miles (~21 km), which is a "1/2 Marathon" length to compensate for yesterday's small showing.  And, this means I am about 4 miles (~6.5 km) ahead of where I typically like to be in order to hit my miles goal for the week.  Having that cushion feels comforting.  

I am surprised, yet also not surprised that many of the "Trump endorsed" candidates running in the primaries for this year's mid-term elections have won their seat. At one level it is discouraging that so many folks are so in lockstep with Donald Trump.... that "base" of folks are in my mind, quite frightening in their "logic" and "thinking" processes.  In another level, however, it *could* potentially be beneficial for the elections if the Republican party keeps being so "split apart"..... into "Trumpers" and "relatively more traditional Republicans".... because it could help the Democrats retain (and potentially gain?) seats in the midterm elections.

I keep looking at that pipe tobacco I found online containing two different forms of pipe tobacco (from Zimbabwe and from Malawi)  in the blend.  It just intrigues me greatly.  I keep debating whether to order a few ounces.   

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be wasteful to order the intriguing new blend and let it sit unused?

Yes, Professor, I think you SHOULD order it. But I don't think your intrigue will be satisfied fully until you taste the new blend. You know you want to. And you know you will EVENTUALLY go back to your delightful tobaccos. Why not do so now, rationally and volitionally, instead of waiting for some time of trouble when you'll fill yourself with doubt and second-guessing for having gone back to your pipes under stress?

Wednesday, 18 May, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Gas was up over $2/l yesterday Per litre! Thank goodness I am not required to drive a lot.

Thursday, 19 May, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm happy to not have to drive many places. Even when I taught, I was only 7 minutes away from school! I'm hoping the same thing you are, but am losing hope that some will wake up to the threat of Trumpism. It's terrifying and discouraging.

Thursday, 19 May, 2022  
Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

Well, for what it is worth, I am back reading your blog. My father used to say, In spring a young man's fancy turns to what the girls have been thinking about all winter. Gas is running about $1.90 CAD per liter in Regina. I ride the bus.

Saturday, 21 May, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home