The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Hashtags

 


I am going to do some exploration to attempt to better understand "hashtags" which are NOT a shredded potato dish, nor is it the 70's era terminology for especially potent marijuana (since I have never had marijuana, I have no idea what "regular" versus "potent" may be in that regard).  

No, the "hashtag" idea I am interested trying to figure out references the "#" symbol that sits atop of the "3" on the standard (US standard) keyboard.  And, more specifically, how this little symbol when tied to some word, words, or array of letters is often found cluttering up the bottom of various Internet posts, social media posts, blog posts, and the like.  

I have SEEN these "hashtag" things for many years, but for the most part I tried to ignore them.  I clicked on one once, and it took me somewhere (I do not remember where the hell it was) that was chaotically not useful to me.  I am guessing they must link to some sort of aggregate database of some sort, probably of what folks may DEEM to be related ideas, but I am not sure.  

So, I have done the following to try to elicit help in understanding:

1.  I asked my wife.  (She didn't have any more clue to the answer than I did.)

2.  I sent a text to one of my kids who is especially "electronic" focused.  I have not yet received a reply.  Probably not until perhaps later tonight, I suspect.  

3.  I am NOW asking you, my blog friends to give me your knowledge of the "hashtag" with specific reference to why and how you would use them in something you READ, and also how and why you would use them associated with something you would WRITE.  

4.  Finally, I am also going to (likely tomorrow) after I amass the opinions and ideas of folks of whom I value their opinion (the above three groups), I will then (again, likely tomorrow) take that information and explore the Internet for the "global" view on hastags. 

Why, you may ask am I doing this?  Well, I am CONSIDERING.... NOT FOR CERTAIN ... but CONSIDERING.... creating a blog, or instagram site or facebook site that can serve as a type of community outreach for scientific research that I find meaningful and impactful.  Over the years, I have highlighted to my students about the dichotomy between what scientists know and discover, versus how the general public learns (if at all) about this work and consumes the information (if possible) in a way that meaningful and impactful for the broader aspects of society.  

I thought that by putting some sort of platform together to highlight in general terms, some of the more important new work related to my broad field, could be a helpful way for me to engage more in community service.   

* * *

  • We did get the full damn 7 inches of snow on Friday.  But, it warmed up enough immediately after that it ended up melting off the driveway by the end of the day Saturday.  And by Monday, all the snow melted away.  
  • I have still been struggling with a lot of sadness.  I keep telling myself it is just "March" and it should dissipate soon.  But, my mind is so swirling at times with memories of those I miss, both those that have passed away, and others who have drifted away.
  • Running is still a CHORE at the moment.  I am awfully damn tired of ~100 loops every morning, dodging around folks who walk in the running lane even though they are not supposed to.  It will (hopefully) feel fun and exciting again when (soon, I hope) I can easily venture outside for my runs in the early morning again. 
  • I have even been feeling SAD about my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  Typically, over these years of abstaining from their friendship and comfort..... I would feel senses of LONGING, DESIRE, CRAVINGS.... for their nourishment.  But, while those feelings remain, I also am now experiencing a SADNESS about them.  It is hard to explain.  I feel, perhaps locked into a corner, not having any real way to "succeed" regarding them. I cannot forget them and be "over it".  I cannot simply return full-time to them and "indulge raucously".  I cannot find any sort of middle ground that seems viable either. It SEEMS that there is no identifiable way to work or strive to make my lot regarding my pipes and pipe tobaccos BETTER that it currently is, and that being locked in a position that is not really comfortable is what I think has added the feelings of sadness.  
PipeTobacco   

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam J. said...

Twitter uses hashtags. They precede a word that is a topic of discussion. For example, #bridgecollapse would probably show recent entries about the Baltimore disaster. I no longer use Twitter since Elon Musk took over but for a news junkie like me it was very useful.

Tuesday, 26 March, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You've caused me to think about something that I have taken for granted.

As far as I can see, they are mostly used for socmedia. They are something like a link or citation in normal writing, but they are a bit more or at least a bit different.

On Twitter, for example, clicking on a hash tag takes you to other tweets that have used the same hash tag. If I read a tweet using a MontrealCanadiens hashtag, it will take me to other tweets that have used the same hash tag about the hockey team, in other words to people who are also writing about that team.

I can't see that it would be that useful in an academic post (or whatever) where you usually need to cite a specific source. Maybe there could be some uses, say you wanted to direct readers to many socmedia posts in one fell swoop.

Wednesday, 27 March, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home