The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, March 21, 2024

I Do Not Know

We are predicted to receive potentially SEVEN INCHES (~18 cm) of SNOW between late tonight and  Friday morning.  (sigh)

The idea of  such a snowstorm makes my mind feel quite gloomy at this time of year.  The other mind spinning weather prediction is that on MONDAY, we will have a high temperature of 55 degrees F (+13 C).

There is ONE bright spot however..... it caused the cancellation of our Department Meeting!

One other bright spot that may seem strange, but has happened occasionally.... walking across campus on the way back to my lab after finishing my "big voicing" for the day.... some unknown fellow walking in the other opposite direction gave me a "thumbs up" symbol and then said, "That's a GREAT beard!" 

I will likely be able to work from home tomorrow (another plus), and have only one online meeting to attend.

* * * * * 

I do not have a helluva lot of new news.  I ran.  I HOPE to easily find a way to run tomorrow to complete my 50 miles (~80km) for the week.  

Lately, my mind feels less and less willing to go through the laborious thought processes to keep focused on why I put down my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  My mind even has been growing less willing to think and reason through a possible plan for measured, only very occasional indulgence in my beloved pipes and pipe tobaccos.  For whatever the current whim of my mind is, it seems simply too taxing to continue and I feel like just sliding back into whichever frequency of unfettered indulgence in my pipes and pipe tobaccos would equilibriate to. I have been thinking about throwing in the towel quite a bit lately.

PipeTobacco  

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, I've seen you use the phrase "throwing in the towel" quite often. I wish you would consider that you are a thoughtful and rational individual, and also alert to your spiritual interiority. When you abstain you are not "throwing in the towel" by accommodating the modern-day antipathy against tobacco (though I'm sure that you've noticed that even among the anti-smoking crowd, a surprising number will admit that pipe smoking is different and that they may even enjoy the room-note of someone's pipe tobacco). And neither would you be "throwing in the towel" by returning to your beloved and nourishing pipes. We can argue that your present abstinence is a "defeat" just as readily as we can argue that taking up your pipes again would be a defeat. But the reality is that NEITHER choice needs to be framed as a defeat or a throwing in of the towel. You've learned a lot about yourself during your time of abstinence, and this knowledge will remain with you even if you reclaim your patrimony and again take up your pipes.

Thursday, 21 March, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

I agree with Pat that "throwing in the towel" isn't how I would describe going back to a habit that brings you pleasure. Great job on the beard; it must be very impressive!

Thursday, 21 March, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think your storm may miss us, at least in its severity. We do have some forecast for overnight tonight (fri/sat), so we'll see. It has been very cold, though.

Friday, 22 March, 2024  
Blogger Josh said...

Professor - life is short. Do what makes you happy!

Friday, 22 March, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home