The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Nothing


 

I haven't got anything particularly novel to say at the moment.  I am tired from lecturing all day. We are going to a potluck at our new Parish ahead of going to Holy Thursday Mass this evening.  In theory, I do not need to go into work tomorrow and can potentially just work from home which would be helpful.  

I ran this morning like I always do.  I will hopefully run tomorrow morning and if I run the set number of (~10 miles) I will have reached my mandatory 50 miles a week (~80 km), and can have the weekend off.

I have gone to band and the new music we are playing has promise.  It is a "water" themed program for Spring according to our conductor.  One piece, which will be a challenge has virtually the entire part for my instrument for this song in the highest part of the upper register of my instrument.  Normally, the upper register is only occasionally utilized in parts for the bass clarinet, because as the name suggests, it is a low, deep toned instrument.   Much of the piece is near or at the C5 range  whereas most bass clarinet music focuses primarily on its beautiful, rich, low register more akin to the C2 range.  It will be a challenge. 

But, what I spend most of "daydreaming" hours thinking about are:

  • Beautiful memories of my pipes and pipe tobaccos. I have so many different renderings of joyful memories, olfactory, gustatory, and visually that I can pull from.  I can almost taste the imagined flavors, almost smell the earthy leaf, and I can visualize (in my mind's eye) the beautifully thick, chalky grey texture to the smoke itself.  
  • Imagined future travel that could permit me an indulgence in a real world sampling of the beautiful leaf in one of my pipes.  I have lately been imagining the indulgence specifically with a large bowled, full-bent, fishtail Peterson.  I also keep focusing in my mind's eye of the delight of peering into the bowl of the pipe during that first light, seeing the yellow flame from my Zippo be drawn into the bowl, igniting the leaf and seeing the combustion begin where each crumble begins to transition into a beautiful red ember. 
  • The hoped for soon-to-be (hopefully) adventure to the cigar "club" the fellow at our Parish has invited me to attend.  I have likely 5 more work Thursdays before I have a day of break on Thursday.  I have been imagining the experience as simple contentment and camaraderie.  
  •  
PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I hope your trip to the cigar club will be well worth it and will make new (although different) memories with this group of people.

Thursday, 28 March, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Enjoy your relatively sedentary weekend.

Friday, 29 March, 2024  
Blogger GaP said...

Happy Easter, Professor!

Sunday, 31 March, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home