The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 26, 2004

It has been a while since I posted. This past week has been one of those weeks that I typically refer to as "too damn busy for my own good". Classes were nice, and I can feel myself getting into a nice rhythm for in the anatomy & physiology lecture. I also feel that same pace starting for the endocrinology course and for the embryology course. So, at least teaching has been the typically enjoyable activity it usually is. Unfortunately the damn, son-of-a-b*tch*ng, asinine committee work, and the truly wretched and horrid departmental meetings drain any semblance of joy from my spirit.

As I grow ever more grey of beard and moustache, I find I become less and less tolerant of aggravating people who (in these committees and my department) bluster and battle and argue about every damn thing that would alter their own *tiny, little role* in life. Last Friday three of the worst offenders at this in my department ranted and raved for damn near THREE hours about what CLASSROOM they would teach in NEXT FALL!!!! The argument revolves around whether you would teach in the same building our offices are in *OR* (huge, dramatic, Earth-shattering drumroll) you would teach in the building NEXT DOOR that is roughly 10 steps away from the other building!!!

(Please imagine the next line in a highly sarcastic tone.) "Oh, the shame! The torture!!! The social injustice!!!" It is purely asinine and idiotic. I teach roughly 1/3 of my courses in the same building as my office, 1/3 in the building next door, and the other 1/3 in a building across campus. And you know what? I LIKE IT THAT WAY. The distant building gives me time to enjoy a pipe as I walk back and forth across campus and I invariably get to talk with 2 or three of the students who see me and walk with me to and from where I am going. These three people in my department need to have a true attitude adjustment. It was so asinine and foolish that I walked out of the meeting after roughly an hour.

The above meeting represents how the non-teaching, non-family aspect of my week went. Suffice it to say, I GLADLY sought out my father-in-law's company Friday afternoon and we again made a relaxing afternoon of pipes, cigars, alcoholic libations and *enjoyable* talk.

So, this is the start of a new week and my vow is to follow the mantra I developed last year and have been trying to incorporate into my life (it has been a slow process):

IGNORE THE INSANITY!

I am going to step outside to have a pipe right now, I only have a few moments before the anatomy class begins.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home