The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, January 29, 2004

We have had some heavy snow here and our ISP broke down, so I have not been here to update like I would have liked to. The snow totals were roughly 11 inches over the course of the two days. That amount of snow would have probably caused few problems if it had not been for the ice storm prior to the snow. The ice storm covered nearly everthing with about 1/2 inch of ice prior to the snowfall. The weight of the ice was the most likely culprit for the outages (of the ISP and electricity (though fortunately I did not lose power)).

So, during the time off, I shoveled the driveway and sidewalks 4 times, and shoveled the very elderly couple's driveway and sidewalks across the street (they are in their early 90s) and shoveled the single mom's driveway and sidewalks next door. All the while I smoked my pipe (actually went through more leaf than usual) and sipped rum-laced mugs of hot chocolate all the while. The physical exertion unfortunately kept me from feeling any intoxication, but the rum did add a pleasant flavor to the chocolate none-the-less.

In the past two days I have come to realize that for 2004 I wish to work on THREE different items that I believe will help make my (and hence my family's) life more enjoyable. They are:

1. IGNORE THE INSANITY! - This is the concept I have outlined before, and I feel it is enormously helpful. I do not need to have other's foul moods, negative attitudes, and rantings keep me from enjoying life.

2. SEEK ADVENTURES! - Big or small (Antarctica would be an example of big, taking a trip to the pipe shop with my elderly father-in-law would be an example of small), taking time to explore and experience what life has to offer is a KEY ESSENTIAL INGREDIENT of what helps me to enjoy life.

and

3. (The New One) LOOK FOR THE POSITIVE! - this one is sort -of a "Polly-annish" sort of mindset.... but I think it is far more helpful than hurtful in my goal of being a happy person. Instead of viewing the things I need to do each day as a chore, a hardship, or a burden.... I am trying hard to see even the mundane as a fun, useful, and rewarding challenge. I need to flesh this out a bit more in my mind, so I will leave it at that for now.

Talk more soon!

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home