The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Today's post is a comment I left on the "Homeless & Disabled Blog" (you can see that excellent and newly named site (I will update the name soon)) by clicking on the link to the right.

Jonathon:

Wonderful post! (I am refering to the 02/11/04 post) Like you, I was also inspired to create my blog after reading Kevin's blog... his was the first blog I had found.

I really enjoy Kevin's writings as well and had been looking forward to more on his other blog.... the photography blog. Unfortunately, Kevin has apparently decided to change paths and not continue with that pursuit any longer. I had hoped to start a consistant dialog with him about photography because it is a pursuit I am very much interested in, but am fairly novice at.

Also, like you, I appreciate greatly that comment sections are found in most blogs. When Kevin removed his because of some idiot people who were abusive, I understood, albeit disagreed with his reasonings. I had felt that the comments from the idiot people only served to highlight the value of his own writing and words. I wish he would return the comments section to his blog, but that is of course something he will have to become comfortable with himself.

As for the "grumpy old man" label for your blog.... I would take that as a COMPLIMENT! There are several reasons for this.... first... your insight and writings bespeaks of a person who is far more understanding about the variences of the world.... you are more knowledgable than the average blogger... and more so than the average citizen. Second, I think that having a bit of a "curmudgeonly" streak is a very healthy mental attitude to adopt in our society. Having a slightly jaundiced view of the "party lines" of most opinions is a GOOD thing.

Now, another reason Kevin may have called your site "Grumpy Old Man" may be similar to the reason I initially thought you were older, perhaps in my age range.... in your previous blog, the photograph you had of the homeless gentleman had me assume that the photograph was of you. It is an excellent photograph, and I assume it is of a homeless man, but now I realize it is not you. Perhaps Kevin did not realize the image was not of you and had the same assumption I initially had.

I fortunately (unfortunately?) better fit the description of "Grumpy Old Man", but I will wear that designation with pride. Even though a bit premature for you, I think you also should be proud of the designation.

As always, enjoy life and enjoy your new pipe hobby!

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home