The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, June 23, 2006

.
Illnesses Abound (Again)

Illnesses are again running rampant through the family and I am at a loss on how to deal with it. My elderly mother has an upper respiratory infection that is very rough, my wife has a severe nasal infection and upper respiratory infection and a fever of 103. I am the only one in my household that is healthy and full of vitality at the moment. One of my kids is also suffering some similar sort of ailment. It has become necessary for me to travel to three different households now to supply nutrients, company, and companionship... as well as to make damn sure each one is taking their medicine (they each tend to be awfully lax in that regard). This is on top of teaching two accelerated courses (each in just a 7 1/2 week time span) which would technically mean I am at an "overload" course load at the moment, and next week is final exam week for both classes and I have to turn in grades one week from today... and besides the essay exam finals for each course, I have two research papers coming in from one course next week and one research paper due in the other course.

Even though this mental and emotional strain is weighing heavily upon me, it is my lot in life I believe. As a man who tries hard as hell to be kind, forthright and even (if I can muster it) noble for my family, my friends, my students, and my community... it seems often as if I am being tested to near the breaking point of my mettle. I truly do not understand why this sort of obscene level of work and stress seems to be a near continual lot in my life, but sometimes I believe it is a test, and I am not sure of my grade. I would relish an "A", but may only be able to acheive a "C" if I work my fingers to the bone, and perhaps even that modicum of achievement is impossible and I am doomed to receive an "F" for the failure of my efforts.

I am not sure what is keeping me going at the moment, but I believe my internal drive is love, fueled by the highest octane coffee and most powerful pipe tobacco I can find.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home