The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Tensile


Tensile strength is a term used in many facets of science, including biology.  Tensile strength is the resistance of a material to breaking under tension. When the tensile strength of a material is surpassed, the material fails. 

I feel like I am at the maximum of my emotional tensile strength.  Some of it may be the residual effects of the emotions of the losing of the keys incident.  Some of it may be related to the approaching start of the academic year.  Some of it may be related to emotions about being damn old.  Some of it may be related to a sense of failure.... failure of what I could have done versus the little I have done with my life.  Some of it may be related to issues related to that which I no longer talk about.  

My pipe and pipe tobaccos used to help me modulate the stressors so that even when it was rough, it would still stay below potential exceeding maximal tensile strength.  Although I always miss my pipes and pipe tobaccos, today I am missing them significantly more strongly.  If you recall my old PCS scale (Pipe Craving Score), today is assuredly a 9+.  

The "Retiree's Cigar Group" is nice, but a cigar is NOT a pipe.  And, I do not have the option to attend the "Retiree's Cigar Group" this Thursday anyway due to another commitment.  

I had hoped to write about something more interesting today, but with the out-of-sorts feelings of anxiety I am experiencing at the moment, this is what I could do.  I do sincerely believe a sizable chunk of it is still residual stress from the damn key crap.  The locator fobs may arrive from Amazon today.  I will see how long it takes me to figure out how to use the damn things.  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Remember my comment about being a "bad boy"? Perhaps it is time to blow off some steam. Humans aren't machines and you should think of yourself sometimes.

Wednesday, 21 August, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Maybe you are forcing it with the group if it isn't a spontaneous, natural sort of thing? Or maybe it will grown on you more. Or maybe, cigars just aren't pipes and never will be. Who knows? I don't for sure.

Wednesday, 21 August, 2024  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Sometime groups don't work.

Wednesday, 21 August, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home